Tau Beta Pi August Officer eNotes
Welcome to the start of a new year! Headquarters is here to ensure you and your chapter have a successful year. Each month, you will receive Officer eNotes which contain information and links to reports that are due, items of interest, and deadlines for that particular month.
The accompanying Officer Welcome Letter provides updated information about the Association, introduces the Chapter Programs Team, and briefly discusses resources and responsibilities as a chapter officer.
Important Items for August
- Report of Eligibility is due at HQ within the first five weeks after the start of your school term. Request your list as soon as school starts. If you need an extension (before the deadline), . Your chapter should submit its Report of Eligibility using an Excel spreadsheet. Instructions are here.
- Fall Contact Information Update informs HQ of any address changes from the Report of Officer and Advisor Election (completed in spring).This report requests the chapter's shipping address and contact information for the Dean of Engineering and president of the institution.
- Convention Travel Plan is due September 1. Login to the online system here.
Make plans to attend Convention October 12-14 in Ann Arbor and Dearborn, MI, hosted by the Michigan Gamma Chapter and Ann Arbor Area Alumni Chapter.
- Purchase your airline ticket and be reimbursed or request HQ to purchase it for you.
- Graduate School & Corporate Recruiting Fair will be held on Friday, October 13, from 10am-3pm. HQ will prepare a DVD of chapter resumes for recruiters. The deadline to submit your chapter's resumes is September 12. Send one folder of resumes per chapter. Instructions are here.
- Professional Development Presenters and Schedule – current list here.
The Association is pleased to announce this year's Distinguished Alumni, Laureates, McDonald Mentor, and Outstanding Advisor. These awards will be presented at the 2017 Convention. Also, congratulations to our 2017-18 Fellows & Scholars.
If you haven't already, your chapter officers should meet the first week of school to plan out the term and year. There are several resources which will provide vital information to assist you.
- Model 12-week membership schedule
- Initiation checklist
- List of Required Reports
- Chapter Excellence Award
The most important activity of every TBP chapter is Initiation. There are several important steps that must be taken to ensure that eligible candidates are initiated.
- Free image materials are available, including posters and brochures to place around campus to showcase TBP; order here.
- Send a professional membership invitation email; however, a recent marketing study suggested candidates are more likely to respond to a mailed invitation.
- Work with the dean's office to send a letter to candidates; sample letter here.
- Hand deliver invitations to eligible candidates.
- Discuss TBP member benefits during meetings with eligible candidates; a list of benefits is here.
Schedule an Advisory Board meeting at least once a term. The Board consists of your president, vice president, corresponding secretary, and four advisors. ALL officers and advisors should meet to discuss plans for the upcoming year. Your chapter should have at least four advisors, if not, make arrangements to elect additional advisors, who, must be members of TBP and will be elected by the chapter (you can check out your advisors on the reporting system).
Chapter officers and advisors may check the status of any report using the online electronic reporting system.
- Log in.
- Click the Report Status button under Menu on the left side.
- Select the year (current year is at top).
- Reports are listed (most have links) along with its deadline, date submitted (blank means not submitted), and grade (1-3).
The culmination of an exceptional year offers the possibility of the Association's top awards:
- R.H. Nagel Most Improved Award
- J.D. Froula Most Improved Membership Award
- R.C. Matthews Outstanding Award
- Project Award